In the round-up: Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says last year’s British Grand Prix exemplifies how hard it will be for them to sweep every race in 2023.
Horner thinks external factors could break Red Bull’s winning run
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says last year’s British Grand Prix exemplifies how hard it will be for them to keep their unbeaten run going until the end of 2023.
“We saw the British GP last year, Max hit a bit of debris and it screwed the floor, and that was his race run,” said Horner. “So it’s fine margins between victory and success.”
The team’s winning running began last year and reached 11 races in a row last weekend, but Horner says that could easily end before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in November. “It only takes a bit of weather or a bit of bad luck or a puncture, things can turn around pretty quickly.”
F1 figures meet UK prime minister
Formula 1’s chief executive officer Stefano Domenicali and the team principals of the seven outfits with bases in the United Kingdom met its prime minister, Rishi Sunak at his Downing Street residence on Tuesday.
They discussed the “importance of the F1 industry to the UK economy” and opportunities in further education within that industry, as well as the intended carbon neutral future of F1 and its teams.
Domenicali speaks out against protesters
Domenicali warned afterwards it would be “unacceptable” for people to attempt “dangerous” protests at the British Grand Prix. The event was disrupted by Just Stop Oil protesters last year, who have targeted a series of other sporting events since.
“[I] really hope that people understand that [a circuit] is not the place where you want to find the right space,” said Domenicali of the prospect of the kind of disruptive protests seen at other sport events this year.”
“Our cars are driving 200mph down the straight, you’re putting yourself in danger and also the drivers,” added Mercedes’ team principal Toto Wolff. “I can speak for our drivers, they wouldn’t want to have anybody being at risk: spectators, fans or themselves.”
MP to miss FREC round after death
MP Motorsport has withdrawn from this weekend’s Formula Regional European Championship round at Mugello following the death of its driver Dilano van’t Hoff in the previous round at Spa-Francorchamps last weekend.
“Last Saturday we lost a great driver, but above all a charismatic young man that motivated and inspired so many people around him,” said team principal Sander Dorsman. “We keep on racing, for Dilano, like he would have wanted. But before doing so, we choose to be with Dilano, his family and friends during the next days and during his funeral service.
“Because of this and all emotions and questions we have, we feel the FREC event at Mugello this week comes too early and as a team we decided to not participate in this event.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
Happy birthday to Ben73!
On this day in motorsport
- 70 years ago today Mike Hawthorn beat Juan Manuel Fangio to take a shock first win for Ferrari at Reims