In the round-up: Ferrari and Mercedes trialled new tyres designed to work without heating blankets at the Circuit de Catalunya on Tuesday.
Pirelli’s blanket-free tyres used on test day
Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and Mercedes’ George Russell conducted an important tyre test for Pirelli on Tuesday at Barcelona as they trialled slick tyres that are in development for 2024 and are designed to work without blankets.
It was one of several 2024-focused tests that have been scheduled to take place during this season, with other teams getting the opportunity to try out the blanket-free tyres after the summer break.
Leclerc was the faster of the two drivers at Barcelona, completing 167 laps and with his best lap time being a 1’18.197. Russell was 0.203 seconds slower in his Mercedes, and set 151 laps during the day.
Mick Schumacher will drive Mercedes’ car for the first time tomorrow when the test concludes. Teams will vote at the end of next month on whether to commit to using the blanket-free tyres during the 2024 F1 season.
Alfa Romeo: It’s extremely difficult to score in F1 right now
Alfa Romeo say scoring points in Formula 1 this season has become more difficult due to Aston Martin’s jump up the order and improved reliability in the second year of the current technical rules cycle.
“Now, when everything is so tight for us, for everyone, but especially for us, we put a lot of effort to make sure that we finish races,” the team’s head of trackside engineering Xevi Pujolar said in response to a question from RaceFans. “Because already if you want to be able to be in that fight, you need to make sure first to finish the race.
“But everyone is doing the same, and then everyone wants to be there at the end of the race. And that’s how it becomes like this. It becomes extremely difficult already in terms of performance is very tight. And then if everyone is finishing the races, it’s even more difficult to score points. You see outside of the top teams that if there were three, now it’s four. The points is the last two positions [in the top 10], pretty much.”
F2 and F3 choose not to replace cancelled Imola round
The promoter of the Formula 1-supporting Formula 2 and Formula 3 championships has announced it will not organise a replacement event after the cancellation of the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix led to both series losing a round.
Flooding in the vicinty of Imola on the week of last month’s grand prix there meant the event was cancelled after many teams had already arrived.
“We have looked at several options, but ultimately, we have decided that we will not add a new venue to this year’s calendars,” said Bruno Michel, F2 and F3’s CEO. “With a total of 13 F2 rounds and nine F3 events, I believe we still have enough races to deliver two amazing and competitive seasons.”
F3 teams will get an additional chance to race post-season as the FIA F3 World Cup-awarding Macau Grand Prix takes place in November.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
Happy birthday to Owen, Timtoo, Dot_Com and Dawnj86!
On this day in motorsport
- 25 years ago today Michael Schumacher won the Canadian Grand Prix but Williams fumed over his clash with Heinz-Harald Frentzen which put their driver out of the race